Tuesday, March 10, 2009

...Anywhere You Can Get It

“Life is made up of little things, in which smiles, and kindnesses, and small obligations, given habitually, are what win and preserve the heart and secure comfort”
--Humphrey Davy

When strength and joy seems to be fading you must take hope from anywhere you can get it. When the path we tread becomes overwhelmed with shades of gray it is important to hold on to the things that will get you through each day. For me, today, it is a book, and one that does not belong to me.
Several weeks ago I was traveling through Lubbock on my way to a retreat with another youth pastor. The previous week I had lent my favorite Bible away to a student who didn't have access to another at the time. Stopping in Lubbock, to see my parents, I asked my mother if I could borrow one of her Bibles that was the same translation (NASB), she lent me one of her old ones. The retreat was great but when I stopped in Lubbock on my way home I forgot to return the Bible to the bookshelf I had borrowed it from. When I returned home it was with me.

In Tyler I was still without the version of the Bible I like to study and teach from so I continued to use hers. I got the my lent Bible back two weeks ago but I have continued to use my Mother's. As I have entered a time that is proving to be very difficult for me I find comfort in the thin, worn, hand-written-note filled book. Today it is my source for spiritual nourishment, my connection to hope, and the knowledge that I am loved. Thanks Mom...love you the mostest.


Related Article:

1 comments:

Andy Wood said...

I have told you many many times that the words in that book are the very reason you are who you are - for more reasons that you and probably even I will every know. But one thing is for sure, the night before you were brought into this world, a bible, very similar to that one, same version, filled with all my hen scratches was where I found the inner peace to let the doctors deliver you 6 1/2 weeks early. It was in that book that night that the Lord told me that you would preach His word to thousands and many many would come to know Him because of the call on your life. He told me you would live. Live son, live.

No person, no words from man can take that call away from you. God does not give it to just any, only to the men whom He trust and believes can make the difference. Do not place your faith in words of men, but in the words between the pages that have brought you comfort this week.

Oh, and by the way, I want my bible back next time you get your little 6 foot 4 self home young man.

AND, I love YOU the mostest because I DID say it firstest. HA!!!


 
Copyright 2011 The extraordinary of any idle day. All rights reserved.