Monday, December 10, 2007

One of Those Moments


Recently I had, "one of those moments." Anyone who has ever had such a moment knows exactly what I am talking about. It is an instance in life where one experiences or witnesses something that reassures the lack of perfection in the human race. I was the key player in such an experience only yesterday.

Pt.1
After church yesterday I went with the rest of the church staff out to eat at Rosa's Cafe, a delicious Mexican food restaurant. I waited through the line, walked up to the counter and ordered my chicken enchilada plate with an extra chicken fajita burrito and a medium drink. The nice cashier informed me of my total, $6.48, and instinctively I reached for my wallet in my left rear pant pocket...No wallet. I must have made a mistake and placed my wallet in my right rear pocket, but again I found no lump in my pocket. After thoroughly checking the remainder of the pockets in my pants and jacket I realize that I had left my wallet in the top right drawer of my desk back at the church. Embarrassed for having already ordered my food I thoroughly apologized to the nice lady and mumbled something about going and checking for my wallet in my car (even thought I knew it was not there). I hung my head and retreated to the large area where several people had pushed tables together so our party could all sit together.

It didn't take long for someone to notice my lack of food and drink and without telling me they took the initiative to purchase my food and drink. (One of the members of our group had heard my order while standing in line behind me and had made sure that I received my meal, by paying for it himself.) With humility I accepted the gracious offer and enjoyed my enchiladas, and chicken fajita.

Pt.2
Last night at church there was supose to be a men and boys bake off, but do to unfortunate weather the services were canceled. Before I knew of their cancellation I had determined to purchase the ingredients to make a delicious Coca Cola Cake. I walked into United Supermarkets on Judge Ely Blvd. and began collecting ingredients into my buggy. After making my final selections I made my way to the checkout line. The nice lady scanned my items, told me my total, $11.27, asked if I wanted paper or plastic, and began sacking my groceries while I reached into my left rear pant pocket to retrieve my wallet. OH CRAP!!

Once again I had the realization that my wallet lie dormant in the top right hand drawer of my desk at the church. For the second time in the past two hours I graciously apologized and walked the shamefully, tail between my legs, back to my car without my groceries. It was one of those moments that made me realize how not perfect I am.

My Thoughts: If at first you don't succeed give up before you fail again.


Related Article:

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Joel,
I think you should carry a purse.


 
Copyright 2011 The extraordinary of any idle day. All rights reserved.