Thursday, November 27, 2008

Coffee House Confessions: Thanksgiving Holiday

Today I celebrate my first Thanksgiving without my immediate family. Marrying into a wonderful family my wife and I chose to spend our first Thanksgiving together at her parents home. Tuesday afternoon we loaded up the car and made the three and half hour drive from Tyler to Magnolia. Our first night in town we began looking for a valid form of entertainment for the entire family. Our journey led us to Wal-Mart in search of a fun board game for the whole family. We quickly picked up the game Yahtzee and on our way home stopped by Starbucks.

Before I met the Hawthorne family the only other time I had ever played Yahtzee was years before with my Grandmother and sisters in Mobile AL. The game consists of each player taking turns rolling five dice in search of different number combination. As we sat around the table playing the classic dice game and sipping our lattes I was reminded more and more of home. Some of the greatest times I have had with my family, new and old, have been while sitting at the kitchen table playing a game. Close to midnight with our Starbucks cups empty and in the trash and our Yahtzee cards half full, I was in the lead but to tired to play any more. We went to bed sore from laughter and ready to enjoy our more of our holiday together the next day.

Drink of Choice: Cinnamon Dolce Latte


Related Article:

4 comments:

Kia Ora Shelli said...

Yatzee! Our very large family has gotten into some vicious games of Yatzee! And you won't believe this, the hubby and I were rummaging around a junk shop and I found a Word Yatzee. I had never seen this before, and for 3 bucks, what could we loose? Got home, broke it out, and we had a BLAST! If you can find one, get it! Glad you enjoyed one of America's time honored games! Shelli

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very fine......

Andy Wood said...

We missed you at our game table last night. Cassie cheated, as usual, and won.

Oh, and ALWAYS get the 35-point bonus. You can't win without it.

Cassie said...

For the record, I did not cheat...but I did win at Continental 2 nights in a row. And Curtis taught us a new game called Mau...you would have enjoyed it. We missed you, and hope we get to see you a little bit around Christmas. Love you.


 
Copyright 2011 The extraordinary of any idle day. All rights reserved.