Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dog Snow Day Afternoon

My alarm went off at 6:00 am. As I lay in bed listening to the clock radio I heard the news I had been listening for, "Abilene Independent School District will be closed." I flipped off the radio and turn roll over. At 10:00 I kissed my wife on the forehead and finally got out of bed. I spent the remainder of my morning in my bathrobe and house shoes lounging around watching Netflix.

At noon I inspected the pantry to try to determine what a good snow-day-lunch would be. I spotted a single potato (my wife used the others from the bag in pot roast she made the week before) and decided on potato soup. After looking up a recipe online I discovered I didn't have all of the ingredients called for so I made the choice to wing it. I sliced and boiled the potato in salt water then poured in a french onion soup mix, a can of cream of celery soup, and added a bit more water. After a few minutes my lunch was ready. I should have drained the potatoes but instead of used the salt water I boiled them in as the base for the french onion soup. The potato soup was a little salty but good.

Since Abilene only gets snow once a year I decided to take some pictures. I have been trying to learn photography and today seemed like the perfect day to practice. After spending some time searching for my ski pants with no luck, I settled with long-johns and a pair of old jeans. I put on the rest of my snow day gear: 2 thermal shirts, extra thick socks, boots, ski jacket, toboggan, fleece bandana to cover my face, and one glove (I could not find its pair) I grabbed my camera called for Sadie we headed out the back door.

Behind our house there is a half acre of land known as "The U." It is a small patch of land surrounded by the backyards of Hardin-Simmons owned houses. I let Sadie out ans she spent time running, jumping, eating snow, and playing with her soccer ball while I took pictures. After a few minutes I found a place to put my camera and chased Sadie around and then kicked the soccer ball for her to run after. After covering herself in snow Sadie let me know she was tired and trotted back to our yard and up the porch. We went inside and I dried her off before she settled in her favorite spot under the coffee table.

Leaving Sadie to sleep, I defrosted my car and slowing drove to the HSU campus. The campus was eerily deserted, a fact that made my picture taking easier. I walked from one end of campus to the other snapping away at anything I thought would take a good photo. With my feet numb and out of breath I made my way back to my car and drove home. When I walked in the door Sadie was still sound asleep under the coffee table. I took off my wet cloths, made myself a mocha latte and sat down on the couch to upload my pictures. After sitting down, Sadie realized I had returned and crawled onto the couch and settled down next to me. Check out some of the pictures from today on the photo blog. Click Here.


Related Article:

0 comments:


 
Copyright 2011 The extraordinary of any idle day. All rights reserved.