Monday, January 17, 2011

Good Things Will Intentionally Happen

2010 was awful; a year filled with the pain and frustration, brimming with a continuous bombardment of bad. I was ready for 2011 in March. When midnight rolled around on New Years Eve I waved goodbye to 2010 with one finger waving more predominantly than the others (ok not really but you can garner my sentiment toward oh ten). 2010 was a rebuilding year. For those of you truly unaware what a rebuilding year is let me enlighten you, it is a polite way of say that the year sucked but had the potential to get better (only if for that fact that it couldn’t get any worse). Even before midnight, New Years Eve 2011 had a prophetic sense of excitement, hope, and joy.


The Turn Around

In actuality it was June when my 2010 began to change for the better but it wasn’t until late November that I began to take notice of the turn around. While driving back from a wonderful Thanksgiving with my in-laws I made a phone call that ended in,

Well if the paper work looks good, you are the person we would like to pursue for this position.
They were words I had been longing to hear but for a year and half had continually found myself looking down on we-appreciate-you-interest-in-the-position-but… letters. Three days later I found myself standing in the tiny bathroom in my house with my wife,
Is that a plus sign? That’s a plus sign! Oh my God, we’re going to have a baby!
I have longed to be a father since my own childhood.


The Sign

I don’t remember the exact day that I first saw the sign but I was driving North on Treadway Blvd. On the right side of the road I noticed a billboard that’s message made me turn my car around to drive by it again. The simple phrase read:

In 2011 good things will intentionally happen.
I am not sure if the billboards were a campaign for city enrichment, or simply a warm welcome of the new year but as I read and reread the billboard I found myself not only mesmerized by it but believing it wholeheartedly. Over the past several weeks I have driven the five extra miles on multiple occasions just to pass by and read the billboard and while I have never been one for New Years resolution but I am determined to remind myself of the billboard on Treadway Blvd.


At the beginning of this year I have started a new job and am growing more and more excited as my wife and begin discovering what it means to be parents. I do not write on here as much as I would like but as I begin this new chapter in my life and with so many extraordinary things waiting to happen I would like to share more of them with my friends and family.



Related Article:

2 comments:

Geoffrey Turner said...

Great stuff bro

Anonymous said...

If you could e-mail me with a few suggestions on just how you made your blog look this excellent, I would be grateful.


 
Copyright 2011 The extraordinary of any idle day. All rights reserved.