Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bangkla: Morning Chapel, Work, and Piki Nu

While it is still dark outside I look at the clock for the third time at 5:00am and decide to get up. After reading and writing for a bit (nit noi) both my grandfather and cousin and make their way downstairs. While Granddaddy and I read John Mark makes breakfast. We eat toast and I enjoy some of the mongkut Gift brought us (they taste even better cold). After breakfast we head to the hospital and participate in the morning worship service with Weechai and several of the hospital staff. Without understanding what is being sung or said I thoroughly enjoy our morning worship. Before starting work one of the nurses in the pharmacy finds a white lab coat for Granddaddy to wear, she finds one that fits John Mark and says she has one that will fit me, but I politely decline and tell her that I am not good at medicine. With a little time to kill, my Grandfather familiarizes himself with the prescribed drugs available at the hospital, John Mark browses the medical books and magazines, and I take time to learn the phrase, “ka ty roop noi,” (to my readers who speak Thai, I apologize for my poor transliteration). The phrase means, “Can I take your picture?”

By 9:30 Dr. Jirachat has arrived and he and Granddaddy begin seeing patients. With John Mark attentively listening to each word said by our grandfather, even those spoken in Thai, I observe and see a grandson learning the trade of his grandfather. After addressing and examining a patient our Grandfather turns to explain what the problem is and what the best course of action would be. Often John Mark is able to apply his education and perceive the prescribed medication or treatment before our grandfather explains it. Gai, the nurse working with Granddaddy, speaks excellent English and is great conversations. She finds a few patients in other rooms for me to take pictures of. After photographing several of the patients treated by my grandfather I excuse myself from the crowded room and settle down in an office that has been designated for us. I spend the remainder of the morning writing and wondering around searching for things to take pictures of.

At lunch we make the short walk directly behind the hospital to Dr. Jirachat’s house; his wife has prepared lunch for all the people who helped them move into their new home; even though we were not members of the moving party we are invited. Our meal consists of ground meat with herbs and spices, chicken, and a sweet salad made of fruits, and vegetables that I am unfamiliar with. Soon after I boast about my ability to eat spicy food, I take a bite of my salad and what looks like a red green bean. What I mistake for a harmless vegetable in a sweet salad is actually a piki nu pepper. The only way I know to describe a piki nu pepper is to take a jalapeño, soak it overnight in gasoline, light it on fire, and then pour battery acid on top of the entire spicy flame drenched concoction. After being humbled by the pepper conceived in hell I quickly accept water and join in with the others laughing at my folly. After lunch we take time to rest, before going back to the hospital for the afternoon.


Related Article:

4 comments:

Geoffrey Turner said...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA...tough guy

Talk About It said...

You are sooo funny. Thai's do hot to a new level-really.

Proof read - you need to correct a few little things in this one - you are showing fatigue.

The pictures are amazing - you are doing a great job. What have you decided to preach? I can hardly wait to hear what you preach and how it goes.

Wish I was there

Talk About It said...

You are sooo funny. Thai's do hot to a new level-really.

Proof read - you need to correct a few little things in this one - you are showing fatigue.

The pictures are amazing - you are doing a great job. What have you decided to preach? I can hardly wait to hear what you preach and how it goes.

Wish I was there

Anonymous said...

Thanks for an idea, you sparked at thought from a angle I hadn’t given thoguht to yet. Now lets see if I can do something with it.


 
Copyright 2011 The extraordinary of any idle day. All rights reserved.