Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bangkok: Herbalife and The Banana Leaf

The last thing I heard my grandfather say to my mother before we left on the trip was, “I want you to do two things, take care of your mother, and drink two shakes a day.” My grandparents began using and distributing Herbalife in March. Herbalife, known in the past for its questionable products and practices as a network marketing company, has received new life and is making a comeback. As a consumer of the products they really do make a difference, a fact that my grandfather tells most people he knows.

After eating breakfast Dui and Gift pick us up. The plan is to spend the first part of the day in Bangkok and then drive to Bangkla in the afternoon. Ready to begin my cultural education of Bangkok and Thailand we head to our first stop…the Herbalife store. Having told Dui and Gift about Herbalife on the drive to the storefront we arrive at a nice office suit building and walk inside to see a large sign of the same symbol that is printed on my protein shake container half way around the world. Not having an appointment with the Herbalife representatives, we look at and prices of the products sit down for a few minutes before heading out to Central City Bangna for lunch.

Central City is a mixture of the food court in an open market and an American mall. We skip

the Diary Queen, and KFC and go to a small restaurant called The Banana Leaf. I order pork with rice noodles and have we all join in a conversation about sunglasses, after trying on both mine and John Marks we decide mine are to big and John Mark’s look better on Dui. Before our meal we are served Tom Yum Kung, a spicy shrimp and lemon soup; Dui and Gift seemed surprised when I add red peppers to mine. Our food comes and my pork and rice noodles are delicious. Each of the others had ordered fried rice, Gift’s with fish, John Mark and my Grandfather with chicken but Dui chose the American friend rice. When Dui’s is delivered his rice is red and has a fried egg on top, with two buffalo wings, a hot dog, a slice of ham, and several slices of tomatoes on the side. We all laugh at the fact that we have never seen American fried rice like that in America.

Related Article:

0 comments:


 
Copyright 2011 The extraordinary of any idle day. All rights reserved.