Saturday, July 31, 2010

Nahonnyak/Prachinburi/Khawhinson: Waterfalls, Dams, The Tailor, and Church

**I will edit and add picture when I have some more time**

I once read a short book that explained the evolution of going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. While in the beginning a beer keg type barrel was employed, through time and technological advancements the barrel turned into a modernized metal role cage in the shape of a barrel. My question is, “Who was the first person to look at Niagara Falls and say, ‘Yup…I need to go over that…in a barrel.’” One of the most awe striking waterfalls in the world, thousands of tourists flock to it’s viewing decks and ferryboats each week. I have never seen it in person but I have seen the Nahonnyak, Thailand equivalent.

Wednesday morning I wake up to my normal routine. After our morning skype calls, I find a box of old photographs and begin looking through them in search of pictures of anyone I am related to. Before I get very far, I am visited by Agan Neetat who offers to take me and show me around the provinces of Nahonnyak and Prachinburi. I agree and within 15 minutes I am in his truck riding down the highway. While we drive, he spends time trying to teach me Thai, Kou, Kou, Kou (which means white, news, and rice). He also tells me the story of how he was influential in bringing the hospital to Bangkla. When we arrive in Nahonnyak we drive into a national park. As I get out of the car I am told that we are going to see the waterfall. We walk across a parking lot, over a bridge and down some stone steps. When I get my first gimps of the waterfall, my initial reaction is, “this is it?” The fast flowing rapids were very calming and nice, a fact which the many picnickers around me had figured out, but they were simply not the three hundred foot waterfall falling from a cliff, that I expected to see. Though I am confident that I could easily survive a barrel trip down the falls I resign to snap several pictures. I pose for several more photos as Agan Neetat once again produces his Cybershot.

We look at the waterfall a few more minutes and then jump back into the truck. While driving he asks me if I am impressed with my driver, who is 81 and still able to drive. I tell Agan Neetat I am impressed at his skill, which pleases him greatly. We drive further into Nahonnyak and in the distance I see what looks like a giant wall. As we get closer I can see that the wall is actually a dam. We drive up to the top of the dam, that is a kilometer in length. The water in lake created by the structure is low because of the dry season but will rise over the next few months. I am impressed at it's size and make sure I take several picture of it. I climb back into Agan Neetat’s truck and we leave to find a suitable restaurant for lunch. After more searching than either of us desired, we stop at a roadside place with a half basement that serves us a delicious lunch. With our hunger suppressed we get back on the road and drive to the Prachinburi province. The reason for Agan Neetat has taken me to Nahonnyak and Prachinburi is because both places were being considered as locations to build the Bangkla Baptist Hospital (obviously they would have changed the name if it had been in either place instead of Bangkla). We drive through the province, but don’t get out of the truck as Agan Neetat points out several things in the city.

On the trip back to Bangkla I comment on the black coat my driver is wearing. His response is, “You like?! Okay we will go to the tailor, I will get you one made for you.” Even though I try to refuse his offer, fifteen minutes later I have a small Thai man wrapping a measuring tape around my chest and running it down my arms. After I am measured for my coat, we discuss how I will get the jacket that I am told will take one week to make. I write my address down on a piece of cardstock and hand it the old family friend. We arrive back at the hospital, I bid Agan Neetat farewell and I walk over to the apartment to look over my teaching for the Wednesday evening worship service.

Agan Weecahi, had asked me a few days before if I would like to teach on prayer on Wednesday night in a church in Khawhinson. Having spent time reading over a few passages, my grandfather, John Mark and I climb into Agan Weechai’s van and along with Agan Weechai, Voot, and Um we head to Khawhinson. When we arrive we eat a meal together and have a nice worship service. It is difficult, especially after you have just delivered a lesson on the subject, to sit for thirty minutes and listen to prayers in a language you do not understand. I try to stay in a spirit of prayer, but my drooping eyes, and bobbing head are relieved when the service ends. Following the service we spend time speaking to many of the church memebers. The most impressive church members are two young girls, Sarah and Haley. Both girls are in elementary school, fifth and second grade, and speak the best English of anyone I have heard in the country. With names like Hailey and Sarah, at first I think that their father may be American, and they have spent time in the US, but when I as where they are from, I am told, “Thailand.” When I ask the my second question, “Where did you learn to speak English so well,” they respond with, “School.” We sit and chat a bit longer before climbing back in the van, but eventually and return to the Apartment to get some rest before our last day in Bangkla.




Related Article:

0 comments:


 
Copyright 2011 The extraordinary of any idle day. All rights reserved.