Monday, July 26, 2010

Hnonghnea/Bangkla: Frog Ranch, Honghnea Church, and Ran Jeck Cheu

I remember the first time I ever ate frog. I was 16 and my family had been taken to the Lubbock Club for Sunday lunch, the only time I ever graced the restaurant on the top floor of the tallest building in Lubbock, TX. Most of the food was to high class for me, and I would have preferred a cheeseburger, but making the best of the situation I decided I needed to broaden my horizons and try something new…frog legs. Most of us at some time or another have seen frog legs on a menu, but have you ever wondered about where those frogs come from. While in the south the only answers I have are professional frog gigers, in Thailand they have another method, the frog ranch.

After a busy morning with Agan Neetat, I rest for an hour before Dui, Gift, and Dift, their ten year old son, pick me up to drive out to Hnoghnea to see their church before I preach in it the next day. Granddaddy and John Mark remain in Bangkla to nap while I ride shotgun in a van full of industrial air conditioners that will be installed in the church. On the way to Hnoghnea we stop off at Gift’s grandmother’s house; the house is next to the house where Gifts was born. After meeting many of Gift’s relatives, I am taken around back and shown several tanks filled with water and frogs of various sizes. When I ask what the purpose of the frogs are Gift seems shocked and says, “To eat!” After laughing, I tell her that she grew up on a frog ranch. We all laugh and are soon back in the van.

After seeing the frog ranch we soon arrive at the church. Gift and Dui took over the abandoned church building three months before after realizing the need in the area. The bottom floor of the building is open air with concrete floors. The top floor is enclosed with the beautiful wooden floors I have grown accustom to seeing. As Dui explains his vision for the church and how they are relying on God to provide, I listen intently. Before we leave the church to return to Bangkla I have the opportunity to meet several church members and pray for a woman who has cold.

Following the short drive back to Bangkla I bid Dui, Gift, and Dift goodbye and check in with my grandfather for dinner plans. Having every meal provided for us we have not yet had the opportunity to go eat a meal at Ran Jeck Cheu. We make the short walk to the restaurant and are greeted with smiles and excellent service. After ordering our food the proprietor retrieves a photo album and begins showing my grandfather picture of other missionaries and people that my grandfather knows. The man finds a picture of my grandfather on his last visit and shows it to John Mark and I. We enjoy the delicious food and the restaurant specialty tod mun kung, a type of shrimp paste that is fried…and delicious. At the end of our meal our money is refused and we return to our apartment. In order to keep good on our word tonight is John Mark’s turn to tell us about himself. We sit and listen to his story then call it a night.

Related Article:

0 comments:


 
Copyright 2011 The extraordinary of any idle day. All rights reserved.